iCandy is delighted to be collaborating with organic baby food brand, Piccolo, to bring a series of nutritionally balanced and wholesome recipes to the iCandy blog. Piccolo founder Cat, enjoyed a varied diet from a young age and her family mealtimes were a time for gathering together around her kitchen table, sharing both food and experiences. Inspired by Piccolo's Mediterranean roots, this recipe is perfect for the whole family to enjoy.
Piccolo Baked Beetroot Risotto
Alice Fotheringham infant nutritional expert at Piccolo says ‘This tasty risotto is a great way to add veg to a filling rice dish and the cheese and herbs mean that it is packed with flavour.’
• 200g fresh beetroot
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• sprig rosemary
• ½ onion
• ½ garlic clove
• 125g risotto rice
• 425ml hot low-salt vegetable stock (try Piccolo Cooking Vegetable stock cubes)
• ½ teaspoon of marmite (for children over 1)
• ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh or dried rosemary
• Handful of grated Parmesan cheese or vegetarian equivalent
• 2 tbsp soured cream or cream cheese
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Peel and trim the beetroots (use kitchen gloves if you don’t want red hands!) and cut into large wedges. Place on a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, the rosemary, a little black pepper and cook for 1 hour until the beetroots are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in an ovenproof pan with a lid. Tip in the onion and garlic, then cook for 5-6 mins until translucent. Stir in the rice until well coated.
- Add in the Marmite if giving to older babies, then pour over the stock. Stir again, cover and place in the oven. Cook for 15 mins until the rice is soft.
- Remove the beetroots from the oven. Reserve a couple of wedges to chop into small pieces, but puree most of the beetroot into a puree. Add in the beetroot puree, chopped rosemary and Parmesan through the risotto, serve with some soured cream dolloped and extra Parmesan scattered on top.
Suitable from 6 months (ensure the stock is very low in salt)
Not suitable for freezing
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour
If you create this delicious dish, don't forget to take a snap and tag @mylittlepiccolo on Instagram
Piccolo Infant Nutritional Expert Alice Fotheringham (Image Credit: Piccolo)
Baked Risotto (Image Credit: Piccolo)