Gingerbread House Recipe
We love Christmas traditions. Sitting by the fire, hot chocolate with marshmallows but maybe the most fun...making the gingerbread house.
We have made it super easy to get into the Christmas spirit with our Gingerbread house recipe and template. Simply print out the template, pop the gingerbread in the oven and weave some magical Christmas memories.
For the gingerbread
- 250g unsalted butter
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 7 tbsp golden syrup
- 600g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 500g icing sugar
- a large selection of your favourite sweets and edible decorations
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon. Then, stir in the butter mixture to make a dough.
- Wrap up your dough and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cut out the template and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut out your gingerbread house pieces and slide them onto your lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 – 15 mins or until the edges of the gingerbread are a darker golden brown.
- Leave the pieces to completely cool.
- Meanwhile, put the egg whites in a large bowl, sift in the icing sugar, then stir to make a thick, smooth icing.
- Add the icing into a piping bag and pipe the icing along the wall edges, to join the walls together - then allow to dry.
- TIP: Use a small bowl to support the walls from the inside then allow to dry, ideally for a few hours.
- Once the walls have set, remove the support bowls, and add the roof panels – icing in the same ways as before. Hold these pieces in place for a few minutes until the icing has started to dry.
- With your remaining icing, decorate your gingerbread house with all your favourite, colourful sweets!
There you have it - a beautifully decorated (and delicious) gingerbread house! Make sure to tag us in all your gingerbread pics @icandyworlduk on Instagram